PATRICK FINBAR RYAN
Seventh Archbishop of Port of Spain
1940 to 1966
Archbishop Ryan was called vigorous, tireless, saintly, witty, scholarly, stimulating, unselfish austere, kind, dutiful, fatherly. His supreme quality, however, was his fighting spirit. He was an indomitable battler, with word and spirit, for the causes of the Catholic Church and against its foes whom he classed with the "gates ofhell".
He fought against the state control of schools-a fight he took to the halls of colonial Governors in the Eastern Caribbean and to the Colonial Office in London. He won. Among his achievements was the establishment of the Seminary of St John Vianney and the African Martyrs, in 1943. He had an intense devotion to the Blessed VIrgin Mary and established, also in 1943, the National Shrine of Our Lady, in honour of Our Lady of Fatima, in the hills of Laventille overlooking Port of Spain.
Archbishop Edward J Gilbert, CSsR
Archbishop Edward J Gilbert was born December 26,1936, in Brooklyn, New York. He began his religious profession in 1959 and was ordained a priest on June 21, 1964. He attended Mount St Alphonsus Seminary in Esopus, New York, and St Mary's College Seminary in North East Pennsylvania.
After his priestly ordination, Archbishop Gilbert pursued graduate studies at Catholic University in Washington, D.C. He is a Doctor of Canon Law and holds the Master's Degrees of Religious Education and Divinity. He was professor of Canon Law for 14 years, academic dean for six years and seminary rector for six years.
As a member of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (Redemptorists), the Archbishop has held various administrative positions. He served in the Redemptorists' General Chapter as Chairman of the International Commission to Evaluate the Redemptorists' School of Moral Theology in Rome, between 1979 and 1985, and as Provincial of the Baltimore Province, which includes the vice-Province units of Brazil, Paraguay, Puerto Rico/ US Virgin Islands and southern United States, for nine years.
Outside of the Congregation, Archbishop Gilbert served as retreat master for diocesan priests, religious and secular institutes, from 1980 to 1993, and was a member of the Papal Visitation Team for seminaries in the United States, in 1983. He has contributed to various publications, including the The New Catholic Encyclopaedia, The Ligourian, The Jurist and The Code of Canon Law: A Text and Commentary.
In 1994, Archbishop Gilbert was ordained Bishop of Roseau in Dominica. He is Chairman of the Antilles Episcopal Conference (AEC) on Catechetics. He worked in Roseau for six and a half years before being installed as the ninth Archbishop of Port of Spain, on May 5, 2001.
COAT OF ARMS
The left side of the viewer: These arms are composed of a blue field on which are displayed three silver (white) peaks to recall that Christopher Columbus named the island for "The Trinity" when he discovered it in 1498. Above the three peaks is an eightpoint star, emitting rays toward the base to honour the Blessed Virgin Mary in her title of the Immaculate Conception, titular of the Cathedral.
For his personal arms, seen in the sinister impalement (right side) ofthe shield, His Grace, Archbishop Gilbert, has retained the arms that he adopted at the time that he was selected to receive the fullness of Christ's Most Holy Priesthood, as he became Bishop ofthe Diocese of Roseau, in the Commonwealth of Dominica.
These arms are composed of three sections. To the lower left is a silver (white) field on which is seen a simple, wooden (brown) abbot's crosier to honour Saint Gilbert who was an abbot. This symbolism is placed beside a red field on which is placed a gold (yellow) carpenter's square to honour the Archbishop's baptismal patron, Saint Joseph the worker.
All of these symbols are placed below a blue Archbishop's religious order, the Redemptorists, the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer. This is composed of a cross that is placed on a lance and a pole with a sponge on the end. These are symbolic of the price that Christ paid for our redemption. These are placed between the abbreviations of the names of Joseph and Mary.
For his motto, Archbishop Gilbert uses the phrase "THE LORD IS MY STRENGTH". It is through the use of this phrase taken from the prophet Isaiah (Is. 12:2) that His Grace expresses his deep belief that for any of us to really accomplish anything ofmeaning, it must be done through, with and by the power of the Lord Jesus Christ.
The device is completed with the external ornaments, which are a gold archiepiscopal processional cross (having two cross members) which is placed in the back of the shield and which extends above and below the shield, and a pontifical hat, called a gallero, with its ten tassels, in four rows, on either side of the shield, all in green. These are the heraldic insignia of a prelate of the rank of archbishop by instruction of The Holy See of March 31,1969.